MCM Survival Guide and Top Picks for Saturday
The first day of MCM is my favourite. It’s a lot quieter, so there are hardly any queues for games and you can move around, get food and generally chill out before the madness that is Saturday.
There aren’t as many Cosplayers on the Friday, probably in relation to how many people are there compared to the rest of the weekend and it is only a preview day so you don’t get much time to look around. But as most of the panels/events happen over the rest of the weekend, it is a good opportunity to shop and play on the multitude of games that are available on the show floor.
What follows is a quick survival guide/checklist and my picks for Saturday
- Arrive early – The closer you are to the front of the queue, the more time you’ll get inside
- Plan your visit – Check out the program online and think about what you want to see. It’s very easy to get caught up and miss out
- Take your 3DS/charge your 3DS/clear your Streetpass hits down – If you want puzzle pieces or heroes to fight in the Quests, you’ll need to keep clearing your Streetpass hits down every time you hit ten
- Take a camera/charge your camera – It’s a no brainer, but some people need reminding
- Get out some cash before arriving at the expo – The queues for the cash machines are crazy, so get cash out before you arrive to save wasting time
- Food at the Excel is very expensive – So be prepared to pay and queue for it
- Take some water – There’s a newsagents in the Excel where you can buy bottled water, but make sure you have some on you. It will be hot, crowded and you might not want to waste time going to buy it, so have it with you.
Saturday’s Top Picks
Visit the Nintendo Unleashed stand to play:
- Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance (3DS)
- Mario Tennis Open (3DS)
- Heroes of Ruin (3DS)
- Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise (Wii)
- Project Zero 2: Wii Edition (Wii)
If you go to the Transformers Universe stand and pick your side, then sign up to the game’s website you will receive a lanyard, wristband and framed picture with your user name.
Insert Coin Tees
Visit Insert Coin Tees this weekend wearing one of their t-shirts or hoodies and you’ll be given a £5 voucher to use on a future order. And with their upcoming Sega reloaded range coming out soon, this is a must.
Tomorrow ShiftyLook have their panel to reveal their new webcomic as well as a signing, both are essential visits. The signing is at 11:30 and the panel is at 14:00. If you can’t make the signing though, the writers and artists are signing again on Sunday. For details of all their going’s on, see their website.
Dead or Alive 5
There is a playable demo of DOA5 at the Tecmo Koei stand as well as a wall that you can sign to tell the world why you’re a fighter.
I played the demo today at the WB Games stand. If you’re over 18, it’s a whole lot of fun and amusing for all the wrong reasons.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
If you pre-registered or picked up a VIP pass today for the panel tomorrow you’re going to be treated to a first look at the new CG re-imagining of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
ONM Streetpass Event
At 13:30, two Official Nintendo Magazine bloggers, Colette and Marti are organising a Streetpass meet at the front of the Excel but the statue at the bottom of the stairs. Turn up in Nintendo Cosplay and you might just find yourself in the next issue of ONM!
Did you attend MCM today? Are you going tomorrow? What are you most looking forward too?