New Pokemon Game Already on its Way?

According to the latest issue of Japanese Dengeki magazine, it looks as though another Pokemon game is already on the horizon. It is a great tradition for developers Game Freak to release 3 games per generation – 2 original versions (for example Diamond and Pearl versions) and then a third game which combines aspects of the two original games (Platinum version). We’ve seen this happen on many occasions, so it’s no surprise that Black and White are getting ready for their third instalment of this generation.

Dengeki’s article on the latest games Pokemon Black and White promises ‘Black & White and New Title Information’ for next month’s issue – May 21st. However, it is likely that we will hear more news about this before the next Dengeki issue is launched.

But the question is; do we actually need another Pokemon game? I’ve always loved the franchise, ever since I first played an American version of Yellow called ‘Special Pikachu Edition’ on my GameBoy Colour. I traded the cards, I watched the TV series at 9.25 each Saturday and I played Pokemon Blue to death. But I’ll be the first to admit: isn’t it time that Game Freak stopped this insistent floodgate of spin-offs and remakes and finally came up with something truly original? I know I can’t be alone in thinking this. It’s true I am just as bad as everyone else, as I have bought at least one game from every Pokemon generation, but lately I’ve lacked the incentive to ‘catch ‘em all’. After purchasing a Japanese Pokemon White back in October last year, I hardly played it at all – the new Pokemon didn’t interest me and it was the same old format, although developers had promised us ‘radical change’.  Did you know there are 36 Pokemon titles so far in total? That’s ridiculous! Granted, some of them do incorporate innovative ideas; such as Pokemon Colosseum (GameCube, 2004), Pokemon Snap (N64, 1999) and Pokemon Gold & Silver (GBA, 2001) which I still maintain is the best in the series, but I feel that over time the rest of the series has – to put it bluntly – lost it.

When asked in a recent interview with The Official Nintendo Magazine whether there will be the possibility to play as Team Rocket in future games, Pokemon producer Junichi Masuda answered, “That’s a difficult question to answer! But when you think about Team Rocket, while they’re quite comical, they’re still bad guys when they try to steal other trainer’s Pokemon … I want players to play as heroes in videogames, and I want them to play fair!” That’s a pretty resounding no. I personally believe having a sort of Fable inspired ‘choose to be good or evil’, would definitely give the Pokemon series that push they need into a new and interesting direction, that we have for so long been praying for.

Yet, it looks for the time being that ‘Pokemon Grey’ as I presume it will be called, is on its way. Inevitable, formulaic but will predictably sell well regardless.

Source: http://ds.dengeki.com/ & http://www.andriasang.com

Comments
16 Responses to “New Pokemon Game Already on its Way?”
  1. Becca says:

I have to agree with you. As much as I absolutely adore the Pokémon games, it’s going a bit far now. Even though I will eventually play Black, I’m intending to play through with a traded team of older Pokémon – why? I think the new ones look ridiculous! Some look fantastic, but to me a lot of the new generation look like Digimon rejects. Either way though, it is flogging a dead horse – but with fancy new mini games on the side.

We need something different in the franchise, an adventure but not from a trainer’s point of view. I played the Pokémon Ranger games and absolutely love them! It’s a different aspect of Pokémon with new stories about different areas in the Pokémon universe. I’d like to see that type of thing explored more, and perhaps some updated versions of older games like Snap and Colosseum (I don’t think that Battle Revolution was much of an update personally, most of the Pokémon look the same, animations and all!) I’d like to see more done with the Pokémon we already have, I mean, how many younger kids even now of the classic Kanto starters? My little sister certainly doesn’t, she only knows Pokémon from the latest two games.

Come on Nintendo, if you can create something new out of Mario every time, let’s see it for Pokémon too!

Phew! That was a bit of a rant, but hey, this is an old school Pokémon lover talking here!

2. CourageOtter says:

Interesting article. Yes I do agree that Pokémon is just repeating the same thing again and again. But personally I enjoy that. They do tend to do some new interesting stuff in each game, such as the Pokéwalker and the Global Link. So it’s not like they’re not trying. Though if they did actually do a revolutionary change to the games, it would be interesting. I do also agree with the above comment, they have done other interesting games, such as Pokémon Snap and the Pokémon Ranger games.

According to an article here:

They may not actually be doing a Pokémon grey. Which is odd. My theory is that with the release of the 3DS they want to move on and quickly make a Pokémon game for it ^^

Thank you for the awesome article. Keep up the good work!

Also… sorry to be a pain, but Pokémon Gold and Silver were released for the Game Boy Colour and not the Game Boy Advance xD

3. josephhamm says:

I’m happy with the series. The problem is that if they mess around with it too much then they’ll mess it up and it will cause an outrage. The series still feels fresh to me and the tiny evolutions rather than vast revolutions are part of the reason. Black and White were the best in the series in my opinion with a genuine attempt at a decent RPG story and MUCH better designs than last generation. Let the spin-offs try something different but I want the main series not to stray too far away from the core dynamic.

• nintymadden says:

I agree with you Joe, Black and White were the best in the series, not knowing the new Pokémon and what to expect from them. The storyline was brilliant and kept me immersed in the game, artwork was fantastic! My mouth dropped as I was heading towards Castelia City.

And to Katy(good article by the way!), what could they do that’s new and fresh? How much further could the Pokémon games actually go?

• ktx8 says:

I agree, that bridge view was spectacular, and the storyline was a somewhat new, but I just feel as loyal fans Game Freak owe it to us to take a chance like they did on Snap and Colosseum and give us something new. I agree with Kelly that now we have the 3DS it’s their chance to really have a go at trying something new – maybe incorporate AR cards etc.

• Daisy says:

good point, i think that the expectation for new pokemon and area’s is always a new aspect to each of the series games however besides that it does often seem rather similar. I myself didnt buy the new game simply because i guessed what it was kind of going to be like simply from looking back at the old games, I know this isn’t always the case and lots of games devlop really well but i dont see that with pokemon.

Maybe character depth would improve the length and depth to the game? some what in a harvest moon esc kind of way. With each game it seems like we leave behind our previous role as the trainer and move onto another, never really gaining any personal incite nor story continuation. Maybe if there was a depper plot, such as, i know im reverting back here, but to the tv series, where chracters developed via different actions within the game. Choosing actions good or bad( fable?) could be interesting.

• Anthony says:

Review by A. Stagg for Rating: Overall, I really like the DSi and think it is a huge imneovrmept over the DS DS Lite, however, I wish they had released the device with more games and applications that take into account the new camera system. We also own a DS Lite and my kids are playing with the new version more than they ever did with the older version.First, the device feels great to hold. I bought the black version and the brushed surface gives the DSi a textured feel that is very comfortable to hold and makes you feel confident you won’t drop it.Setup could not have been easier. The DSi connected with my wireless network on the first try, upgraded the software with no problems, and then downloaded the Opera browser and the WarioWare Snapped game immediately. No problems using my 1 GB SD card (I will be installing a larger SD card soon).The screen on the DSi is .25 inches bigger than the DS lite. Overall the colors on the screen seem a bit crisper to me and pop a little more on the DSi.The Opera Browser works great, though the screen is pretty cramped and they don’t appear to have released a flash player for it yet, so forget streaming YouTube or similar video at this time. The Wii also did not have the Flash Player when it was released, so we can hope that flash will be arriving soon for the DSi as it did for the Wii.I only wish they had released the game with more titles that take advantage of the camera system. The WarioWare: Snapped is a nice game, but a bit cantankerous. Make certain you use it against a high contrast wall. It’s a simple game, but entertaining. Still, I would have hoped for a couple more games that used the camera system to better effect. Hopefully soon.The applications for the camera and the recording applications are great fun and my son is having a great time playing with them. Still, I wish they had released the device with more overlays and templates; I am guessing more will released in the near future. Nevertheless, my kids really like playing with the sound and video gadgets and have had a great time with them need to remember to get them headphones So, overall, I highly recommend this game system, but advise patience while Nintendo releases more games and applications for it. There are still plenty of DS Lites on the shelves, but I’d advise getting this system unless you really want to be able to play your older GBA titles which do not play on the new system.I also highly recommend getting the Dsi Nerf Armor Blue/Black to protect the system. Works great if you can find it, otherwise try Nintendo DSi Thrustmaster Metal Case-Ocean Blue which fits nicely, but is PLASTIC not metal as advertised.Week of 13 April Update: Nintendo released two more titles to the DSi shop that are available for download. Have to admit some disappointment so far in this aspect of the game system. So far, nothing available that evokes much excitement. Still, I’m optimistic that the game titles will follow soon. To date (04 JAN 2010), the following downloads are available:1. DSi Opera Browser -Free2. Birds Beans 200pts3. Brain Age Express: Math 800pts4. Master of Illusion: Funny Face 200pts5. Maters of Illusion: Shuffle Games -500 pts6. Aquia 500pts7. Warioware: Snapped 500 pts8. Mixed Messages 500 pts9. Dr Mario Express 500 pts10. Master of Illusion Express: Deep Psyche 200 pts11. Clubhouse Games Express: Card Classics 500pts12. Paper Airplane Chase 200 pts13. Animal Crossing Clock (not a game) 200 pts14. Animal Crossing Calculator (not a game) 200 pts15. Real Soccer 2009 800 pts {looks like a good one/ 1-4 players, customize aspects of the game using the DSi camera.16. Art Style(tm): PiCTOBiTS(tm) -500 pts (looks like another good one)17. Photo Clock -200 points18. American Popstar: Road to Celebrity 800 pts19. Mighty Flip Champs! 800 DSi Points {this looks like fun!!)20. Mario vs. Donkey Kong(tm): Minis March Again! 800 pts21. Mario Calculator 200 pts22. Mario Clock 200 pts23. BOXLIFE 500 pts24. SUDOKU MASTER 500 pts25. Art Style: BASE 10 500 pts26. Brain Challenge (48 mini-games) 800 pts27. ZENGAGE (a puzzle game) 500 pts28. Sudoku Student 200 pts29. Art Style: precipice(tm) 500 pts30. Facebook Connect FREE!!! {Facebook integration}31. Brain Age Express: Arts Letters 800 pts32. Brain Age Express: Sudoku 500 pts33. Guitar Rock Tour 500 pts34. Pop Solo -500 pts35. Puzzle League Express 500 pts36. Clubhouse Games Express: Family Favorites 500pts37. Art Academy(tm): First Semester 800pts38. Oscar in Toyland 800pts39. MySims Camera 200 pts40. Clubhouse Games Express: Strategy Pack 500 pts41. Art Academy: Second Semester 800 pts42. Dragon Quest Wars 500 pts43. Thorium Wars 1000 pts44. Pinball Pulse: The Ancients Beckon(tm) 500pts(October 19 DOMO EXTRAVAGANZA WEEK!!)45. Crash-Course Domo 200 pts46. Hard-Hat Domo 200 pts47. Pro-Putt Domo 200 pts48. Rock-N-Roll Domo 200 pts49. White Water Domo 200 pts50. The Royal Bluff 500 pts51. Sudoku 200 pts52. Sparkle Snaphots 500 pts (uses camera)53. Viking Invasion 800 pts54. Battle of Giants: Dragons Bronze Edition 800 pts(NOVEMBER 9, 2009)55. Electroplankton Trapy, Hanenbow, Red-Rec, Nanocarp, and Beatnes 200 pts each56. Bomberman Blitz 500 pts(NOVEMBER 16, 2009)57. Art Style(tm): DIGIDRIVE 500 pts58. Arcade Bowling 200 pts59. Robot Rescue 200 pts(NOVEMBER 23, 2009)60. Castle Of Magic 500 pts61. myNotebook: Blue 200 pts62. Electroplankton Luminarrow 200 pts63. Electroplankton Sun-Animalcule 200 pts64. Electroplankton Lumiloop 200 pts65. Electroplankton Marine-Crystals 200 pts66. Electroplankton Varvoice 200 pts(1 December)67. EA’s Foto Face: The Face Stealer Strikes 800 pts (uses camera!!)68. Master of Illusion Express: Mind Probe 200 pts69. Sudoku Challenge! 500 pts70. Bookworm 500 pts(7 December)71. Rayman 800pts (hooray!!)72. Ball Fighter 500 pts73. Pop Island 500 pts74. Army Defender 200 pts75. myNotebook: Red 200 pts(14 December)76. Littlest Pet Shop 800 pts77. Miami Nights 800 pts78. Bejeweled Twist(tm) 500 pts79. Yummy Yummy Cooking Jam 500 pts80. Master of Illusion(tm) Express: Matchmaker 200 pts(21 December)81. UNO 800 pts82. Dragon’s Lair 800 pts83. Hot and Cold: A 3D Hidden Object Adventure 800 pts84. High Stakes: Texas Hold’Em 500 pts85. myNotebook: Green(tm) 200 pts(28 December)86. The Oregon Trail 800 pts87. SUDOKU SENSEI 500 pts88. Glow Artisan 500 pts89. Master of Illusion(tm) Express: Psychic Camera 200 pts90. Arcade Hoops Basketball 200 pts(04 Jan 2010)91. Trajectile 500 pts92. Animal Puzzle Adventure 500 pts93. Hell’s Kitchen Vs 800 pts

4. ktx8 says:

It may be my retro gaming side forcing through, but in my eyes there are only 256 pokemon – everything stops after Johto. I understand though, that the series is still selling extremely well (both Black & White hitting the no.1 spot) and developers are probably worried about messing with the winning goldmine of a formula – but many companies have learnt in the past that sometimes it’s worth a risk to try something new. If they simply continue with the main series the way they have been doing for the past 15 years, it begs the question – when will it all end?

5. Kelly says:

I have to agree with this – the last game in the franchise I bought was HeartGold and I gave up on that pretty quickly. I’m probably not going to bother with Black/White (or grey). Hopefully they’ll come up with somethng a bit different for the 3DS. Personally I’d love a game that combined Red/Blue & Gold/Silver but totally graphically overhauled and updated for the 3DS. Now *that* would be amazing, all the original Pokémon in 3D, just the thought makes me excited. 😀 Doubt it would ever happen though. I miss the originals. 😦

• Mohamed says:

I would say about that age is okay for a portable cosnloe like that as long as you don\’t get him any mature games. Although, even though Game Boy is a household name and cosnloe, Nintendo has abandoned the Game Boy franchise (Original, Color, Advance, and SP versions etc) so it will probably be a little harder to find so I suggest getting the DS, it\’s the newer version of the Game Boy Advance which has a touch screen and better graphics and they actually still make them, haha. There are different types of DS cosnloes though, there\’s the original, the DS Lite, and the DSi. The DS and DS Lite are the exact same thing except the Lite is smaller, but they don\’t make the original DS anymore either so there\’s not really a point in getting one. The DSi has a camera and some other cool little things but it\’s more expensive. Overall if he\’s just five I think the DS Lite would be fine. And some games I recommend:-New Super Mario Bros-Yoshi\’s Island DS-Super Mario 64 DS-Pokemon Soul Silver/Heart Gold (He might be a little too young to understand how to play but there are kids that young that can play it)Oh and there is also a DSi XL that\’s just a bigger version of the DSi but it costs even more so yeah. Oh and not to mention the 3DS is coming next year which is the REAL successor to the original DS with even better graphics but it\’s going to be even more expensive and I wouldn\’t really bother with it right now.

6. Beth says:

Mostly, I agree. I love pokémon, the games and the series and everything. But it is getting very samey. The graphics in black and white were amazing, and I liked the way the story went on for a bit longer, it actually took me a while to finish it.. but after all the plotlines and stuff, I just don’t play it. I don’t think I’ve ever caught them all.
    I’d definitly be interested to see them make a change with pokémon games. I’d buy it! =]
    you’re a good writer, keep up the good work ;]

7. Camila says:

: Ok. those are two seperate prbmleos 1. The place in the text where the phrase title xml:lang= en-US – no title specified/title can be foud varies depending on the size of the notepad-window/your screen. It might also be that the the phrase title xml:lang= en-US is set to another language. The part which you should specifically look for and change is the phrase – no title specified/title

8. Pepe says:

How much can I get for a used Nintendo DS bundle on eBay?I am going to sell a used orniigal Nintendo DS on eBay which will include the DS, one gray stylus, a case, the wall charger that it came with, Need for Speed: Underground 2, Pokemon Diamond, Pokemon Pearl, and Full Metal Alchemist: Dual Sympathy all for DS and with box and instructions. It will also have Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings without box or instructions (for DS also). And last but not least Pokemon LeafGreen, Kingdom Hearts II: Chain of Memories, Yu-Gi-Oh! Worldwide Edition: Stairway to the Destined Duel, and The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers all for GameBoy Advanced and without box or instructions. I plan to sell it all in one bundle. How much do you guys think I could get (in USA legal currency) for it on eBay?o0samotech0o i asked for USA legal currency not euromy bad not euro

Trackbacks
Check out what others are saying...
  1. […] New Pokemon Game Already on its Way? (nintendoscene.com) […]

2. […] edition of the Black and White generation (Pokemon Grey perhaps?) as suspected previously in an April edition of Japanese Dengeki magazine, or are they developing the first games in the next Generation (Generation […]

Give us your view on this article..

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s